Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Main page Content

History

Early beginnings

In the early 1950’s the first moves to provide primary schooling for the rapidly growing Seven Hills district were taken with the acquisition of several portions of land lying between Foxton Street, and D’Arcy Road. The area known as 'The bull paddock' by locals varied in terrain from stony hillsides through thickly timbered eucalyptus scrub, to water holes and permanent grassy wetlands in the lower reaches.

Approval for the establishment of the primary school was finally given by the education minister in May 1958 and construction began in July 1959. Despite extensive blasting required to lay foundations in the solid rock encountered on the chosen site, the school was open for business as planned on the first day of term, January 15, 1960.

Our first acting principal, Mr James Williamson, and a small band of teachers welcomed 84 students for enrolment on the first day. By the end of the first week enrolments had reached 108 and by the end of the year 141 students were attending Seven Hills State School.

The opening of the school, which was to coincide with the first Seven Hills State School fete, had to be deferred until the appointment of a permanent head teacher. Mr Henry James Newitt was transferred from Kuraby State School to take up the position as the schools’ first permanent principal on July 25, 1960. The school was officially opened by the then Minister for Education the Honourable J.C. Pizzey MLA at the fete held on 1 October, 1960.

The school colours, emerald green and gold, were chosen at the November 10 School committee meeting and uniform designs were formalized in early December. The uniforms, which were stocked by McDonnell and East department store, were on display at the school on the last day of school in 1960.

The school grew to have an enrolment of 351 by 1962. In 1964 temporary class rooms were required. These were replaced in 1967 by a new wing, (which currently houses a 7/6 class and Outside school hours care). By 1968 there were 448 students.

Over the ensuing decades Seven Hills State School numbers have waxed and waned with demographical changes to the surrounding suburbs producing fluctuation in enrolment numbers. In 2004 Seven Hills State School was chosen as a Prep trial school and since then enrolment numbers have continued to climb.

The hectare of remnant bushland on the school grounds has been maintained and replanted by parents, teachers and students of the school, encouraged by local resident, author and leader of Perrin Creek Seven Hills Bush land rehabilitation group, Eris Jolly. In 2002 studies of historical school photos revealed the Seven Hills Nature Trail, which had become overgrown and choked by lantana. Intensive efforts by a dedicated band of Perrin Creek Seven Hills Bush Land Rehabilitation group and Seven Hills State School volunteers resulted in the trail being reopened in 2004, reinstating this valuable environmental and educational resource to our school community.

Seven Hills State School celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 2010. A number of celebrations were planned to occur throughout the year. Children currently attending the school include some second generation Seven Hills students. New families join our community each year and are attracted initially by the beautiful spacious surrounds and solid reputation of our dedicated and talented teachers.

References:

Eris Jolly, 2002. Seven Hills of Brisbane

Eris Jolly, personal communications, 2008

W Maclachlan, Minutes of the Seven Hills State Primary School Committee, 1960-1962